Sunday, July 07, 2013

Phoenix, by Chuck Palahniuk



Phoenix, Chuck Palahniuk.  San Francisco: Byliner Fiction, 2013.  e-book, 27 pps.

 I first became aware of Chuck Palahniuk when my buddy Walt recommended that I read Fight Club.  I read it and I liked it, finding the writing to be edgy and satisfying.  I am definitely a Chuck Palahniuk fan.

Phoenix is a delightfully evil little short story about a jilted wife named Rachel who had plotted revenge on Ted, her crappy husband and his cat Belinda Carlisle.  As a result of Ted's refusal to give up his greasy feline, Toxoplasma gondii was transmitted to their offspring April as a fetus and she was born blind.

Interspersed between the telling of the tale of revenge, Rachel-- who is away from Seattle on business in Orlando-- becomes increasingly concerned over the well-being of April.  April has been refusing to speak to her mother on the phone all week.  There is possibly a dog.

sapphoq reviews says:  I enjoyed Phoenix.  It is an excellent taste of Chuck Palahniuk's brusque and raw style.  Highly recommended to all but the most wussy and genteel readers. 

No comments: