Monday, March 24, 2014

The Anxiety of Kalix the Werewolf by Martin Millar




The Anxiety of Kalix the Werewolf, Martin Millar. Berkeley: Soft Skull Press, 2014. e-book, 705 pps.


     I like werewolves in my fiction. I love well-crafted fiction. Martin Millar is on my list of favorite authors. His latest offering continues the story of Kalix-- a werewolf who has high anxiety, battle rage, and an active history of cutting-- and her three flatmates in London. Two of those are strictly human. One of them is a fire elemental. 

     The human flatmates are pretty cool. In an earlier book, they found her and rescued her from living in an abandoned warehouse. In this one, they demonstrate what true friendship is.

     The werewolf family is fraught with drama and controversy. There is a council which is hesitant on taking action. And an older sister who Kalix continues to be estranged from. I've always found the fashion-plates in my family difficult to relate to myself. Kalix and I both favor a style of dress known as either grunge or comfortable, depending upon who is doing the describing.

     Fairies make an appearance also. These are not the goody-goody and sickening sweet variety. These fairies are cunning, battle-ready, and demanding. 

     I will not give away any of the fighting or the ending. I will say that both were satisfying. I particularly liked the silver bullets that exploded inside the body, much like the Ma Deuce of World War II. 

sapphoq reviews says: If you like werewolves [especially in London] combined with a great story and attention to the nitty-gritty of communication, you are bound to love Martin Millar. If you haven't found him yet, do so now. I love Kalix the Werewolf and I'm looking forward to more, more, more. Highly recommended as a superior fantasy read.

     

No comments: