Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug




N.B.: http://www.thehobbit.com/ is the website to check out for the names of the actors and actresses and other stuff if you want to.

I went to the movies recently-- which was a costly but fun treat-- with my mate who was determined to see the second Hobbit movie. The exact title is The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. We did use the 3D glasses but both of us declined to sit in the special moving movie theater seats which apparently is all the rage. I sat in the demo seat later and quickly determined that it was not thrilling.

I like special effects in movies. I always have. Things that go boom or hiss or slither or explode-- I'm for all of that. There was plenty of that in the movie. My favorite character was Smaug the Dragon who was played by a guy named Benedict Cumberbatch. His voice was perfect for the role. The dragon himself slithered around in a most satisfying way. That combined with the voice produced a rather creepy effect. Smaug was worth the admission price of the movie.

The other thing I really liked was the village set on water. I think I would like to live in such a village of little houses surrounded by water and having to use boats to get around. Here I am not thinking of Venice and the canals (although canals also fascinate me). I am thinking more of houses connected by ramps and footbridges out in the midst of a large lake in the wilds somewhere.

The funniest part of the movie for me was the escape scene featuring the dwarves and some barrels and a river. It was thrilling and slapstick at the same time. 

As in the first movie, this one had its' share of eye candy. Elves are beautiful creatures in particular. There were no sex scenes. But the elves were classy fantasy material, even with their pointy Spock ears.

sapphoq reviews says: Reading the Tolkien books helps in understanding the intricacies of the Hobbit movies. For those who love fantasy and beautiful movie sets, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will fill the bill. Highly recommended. And yes, my dear Noodle K., endorsed for the eye candy!


No comments: