Monday, July 07, 2008

Pow-Wow in Yosts, New Yak

Saturday I had the pleasure of attending the pow-wow in Yosts, New Yak. Admission was six dollars, with an option to get a mark on one's hand for leaving and re-entering. Tents and small camper trucks were scattered in the sparse woods and fields surrounding the site. The site itself was rather compact although pleasant with a mixture of sun and shade. The pow-wows I had attended in previous years were held at the Auriesville Shrine in a larger but too sunny.

I wandered around the vendor sites. I found one site with donated ice cream and popcorn from Stewart's. My first food purchase was a chocolate cone for a buck. Other sites had the usual assortment of homemade crafts and ribbon shirts. One enterprising local man was selling leather seconds for cheap. Piles of colored one-sided suedes tempted the eye. The proprietor told me that some folks had purchased swatches on Friday and had some other folks make regalia out of them. "Make your own fun," he told me. Although I was tempted, I held on to my bisexual bucks.

Much to my delight, I met a couple of old neighbors who also had made the trek. We sat together at a picnic table by the circle along with several other folks who for various reasons could not sit comfortably on the ground and had not brought chairs. We were a cheerful lot and conversation flowed amicably. During the afternoon, we became six acquaintances sharing a good time rather than random strangers.

Joe Firecrow performed starting at just before 12 noon with some fluting and his amazing singing voice. Following, the east gate was opened to the honor guard. Several inter-tribal dances followed. A repeat (from other years) performance by the Aztec Salinas Family of Mexico City was fast-paced. Volunteers enjoyed participating in a dance contest between the "beautiful ladies" and the "ugly macho men." After the contest, we volunteers danced in a friendship circle with the Salinas. A red blanket went around for donations. Not enough people were giving though as Miguel remarked that they would have to sell the two family chihuahuas!

It was shortly after three p.m. and some fry bread and homemade limeade that I left. There was going to be a trading blanket that evening but I was tired and the distance was too far for me to consider a round trip.

Although the grounds this year were smaller and thus compacted a bit, the trees made for a very pleasant surrounding. I enjoyed myself immensely and came away relaxed and happy. The indigenous and native-americans present were open and welcoming of those of us whose ancestors had migrated to the States later on. Public attendance at this pow-wow in particular is encouraged and is considered to be a teaching event as well as a gathering of tribes.

sapphoq reviews

No comments: