Friday, February 02, 2007

WHO WILL RUN THE FROG HOSPITAL? by Lorrie Moore 2/2/07

Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? by Lorrie Moore. New York: Vintage Books, 1994. 148pp. paperback

A niece and nephew gave me this paperback as a gift and I thought to myself, what kind of a book is this? Once I'd read a few pages though, I was instantly hooked and remained so right up until the last page. This slim volume, billed as a novel but with hints of what my Aunt Eleanor would have called "faction," tells the story of an adolescent girl and a friend. It is a coming of age yet more than that, with slices of life around the Lake George Region that any true Adirondacker will instantly recognize. The language is lyrical, ethereal in quality. The tale of a pivotal summer made me feel like I was "right there." The two teens both work at Storyland and each get into trouble of a different sort. A captivating novel and highly recommended.

sapphoq reviews

No comments: