Tuesday, April 04, 2006

found poem from BART D. EHRMAN; LOST SCRIPTURES

The Shepard of Hermes Speaks
a found poem


Vision I. 1:1-9
I had nothing. Time, powerful, fell
and a spirit split the river.
The sky desired me. I said,
"Listen! Heaven is angry!"

A goddess laughed. Indeed, the heart
is great and everything. Captivity clings to hope and regrets.

Vision II. 5:1-4
Traveling, time remembered me.
I considered the things
I remember(ed) and I seized.

Vision III. 9:1-9
Was this the promise?
The hours arrived trembling
and terrified. Courage came
before righteousness and left
alone. Simplicity endured.


A found poem is words taken in order from a text, passage, or section of a book. When other words are skipped over, a poem is born.
This found poem was found in:
Bart D. Ehrman, Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into the New Testament. New York, 2003, pp. 252, 254. 256.

1 comment:

g1rlg33k said...

"Captivity clings to hope and regrets"

Lovely.

I love the references to the Goddess within biblical (or even psuedo-biblical) texts. I remember the first time I read "The Feminine Face of God" - It was so powerful and moving. This brings that feeling to mind ...

Thanks for sharing!