Friday, September 27, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky




The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky.  New York:  MTV Books, 1999 and 2010.  e-book, 146 pps.


Charlie writes letters to someone unnamed.  Charlie is full of anxiety about his freshman year in high school.  But he survives it with the help of some true friends who are seniors.  Through the year, Charlie learns about relationships and experiments with light sex.  We are nearing the end of Banned Books Week.  I don't know why I missed this book when it first came out in 1999, but I did.

sapphoq reviews says:  Stephen Chbosky has penned an extraordinary coming-of-age novel which deserves its' place among the other great classics which Charlie's English teacher Bill has him read.  Charlie is a sweetheart and I found myself wishing that I could meet him.  This one will tug at your heartstrings.  Highly recommended, unless of course your parents or your church is sponsoring a book burning in the backyard this weekend.


No comments: